Thursday, July 16, 2009

Moving at a glacial pace (for once!)

Greetings from Glacier National Park! We rode here in 3 days from Missoula, MT, arriving on Sat 7/11, and have been relaxing by Lake McDonald with our books ever since. My current addiction is the Sookie Stackhouse vampire mystery series by Charlaine Harris. Thanks to a bookshop in Missoula and the bulging bookbag that Doug's parents brought with them to Glacier, I have 8 (!) of the Sookie novels, and have plowed through 5 of them in the last week. I'm determined to finish the remaining 3 before we start riding again. OK, you might say I am a wee bit obsessed. But binge-reading has always been one of my favorite vacation pleasures, and there's no better place for binge reading than the shore of Lake McDonald! It is so lovely to sit around on a lakeside bench all day instead of pedalling. If I'm feeling particularly energetic, I go skip rocks for awhile and wade in the water before returning to reading. It's a good life.

We've had a mix of rain and sunshine in Glacier so far, and I'm hoping we'll get a bit more sun before we leave so we can go river rafting. Today the four of us drove up the Going-to-the-Sun Road to Logan Pass (elevation 6646 feet, part of the Continental Divide). At the top, we took a walk up a mountain along a raised wooden path that was covered by snow in certain parts! It was pretty awesome; I promise we'll add some photos later when we get a chance to upload!

We've adapted the next leg of our trip somewhat, and are planning to ride straight across the prairies of Montana and North Dakota to get to Minnesota, instead of dropping down through Yellowstone, Wyoming, and South Dakota. We've heard mixed reviews about the prairie ride (one rider told us about some funky wind patterns he hit a few years ago), but we're particularly psyched by its flatness. I looked for an elevation scale on our Adventure Cycling maps, only to realize that the next leg of our trip doesn't have an elevation map because, well, it's that damn flat! Sweet. If the winds can stay at our backs, we should have a nice (albeit looong) next stretch ahead of us.




5 comments:

  1. Ok, here's the deal. Tesla and I will sit and read on Sunday. You guys do the same. We'll all use our imaginations and it'll be like we're having an idyllic moment at the lake, all together.

    So psyched to see an update! Miss you like whoa.
    Hugs! Fake-hungry meows!
    Love,
    K-ren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen -- wow you are making so much progress, good on you both! ;)

    <3 totd

    P.S. Thanks for the tip about Sookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Punkin! Hi, Doug!
    Fun to read a new post.
    Glad you've made time for some relaxing & binge-reading.
    Thinking of you, and sending you love and hugs from Lake Tahoe. Having a wonderful time. I awoke for the sunset this AM and drove later in the afternoon to Emerald Bay. As gorgeous as ever. Jan and Allen say hi. :-)
    Wishing you tailwinds as you head for Minneapolis.
    XOXO, Mom <3 and Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny - I just binge-reread the anne of green gables books (yes, all of them - yay public domain e-books :) this weekend while in bed with a fever. (I was inspired by finding the first in hard copy at the american rec center library). SO glad you are having time to relax and read. I will definitely have to check out the Sookie books.
    I've been thinking of you guys a lot - can't wait to see you out here.
    <3 and HUGS! mkm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah I love reading your updates!!!
    Hey can't wait to hear all about you driving through my hood - North Dakota! I think your legs will appreciate the flat land (with the exception of a lump every now and again) ;)

    happy pedaling,
    Michelle-Michelle

    ReplyDelete