Our time in the village was intense, hot, thought-provoking, and exhausting. We ended up staying for two weeks. Even though I really wanted to come home after the second day (the day I was sick), I'm really glad that we stayed. I'm not saying I want to go back there for a sleepover any time soon, but I appreciated the opportunity to live and exist and survive somewhere that is more radically different from my own life than anywhere else I've ever been. And now that we've been back in the city for awhile, I've had a chance to think about life in the village and what I learned while we were there.
Some of the things I learned were practical skills: I learned how to avoid splashing myself with urine water while squatting in the shower/peeing area for a bucket bath. I learned how to squat over a latrine, and didn't even miss once. I learned how to wash dishes in the dirt, how to keep frogs from getting into our hut, and how to best kill the big spiders that showed up on the backyard fence every night. (Flipflops are better for this task than Chacos, as it turns out. You need a nice smooth shoe bottom that doesn't have any treads for the spiders to hide in, and then you smash the spider and give it a good smear before lifting the shoe.)
The silver lining of this suffocating cloud of celebrity is that I never felt unsafe out there in the middle of the bush, since at any given moment, probably a dozen people or more knew where I was. When Rose and I decided to take a walk to the neighboring village, it felt like a big adventure. We made sure to tell our host family where we were going so that no one would be concerned. But we needn't have worried: people from the neighboring village immediately spread the word that we had visited them, and by the time we returned home, it seemed like everyone in our own village knew where we had been. It's a small world!
At this point, you may be wondering why I'm glad we stayed in the village. I liked learning Wolof and getting to practice it with people every time I stepped outside. I liked walking out into the bush and watching the sunrise or the sunset over the vast expanse of land. I liked developing the strength, patience, and confidence to survive somewhere so foreign to me. But most of all, I liked connecting with the villagers, especially our host family and our favorite kids.
When we first arrived, I felt like an anthropologist on a quest to learn more about Really Poor People Who Live in a Village. I felt awkward interacting with them, and I felt overwhelmed by everything that was new, hard, and dirty about their way of life. But as the days melted into one another, and as I communicated more with people, I slowly started to feel more connected to people. People greeted me, and I greeted them in return. I asked them simple questions about what they were doing, and they would explain their work to me. Kids called my name and tried to get me to dance, and they took me out to the fields to gather peanuts, and then laughed at my attempts to find peanuts in the dirt. We sat around the gas stove at night and drank hot sweet milk with people from our compound. And throughout it all, even though I still felt self-conscious about my wealth, my privilege, my skin, my clothes, and all of the other things that make my life different from theirs, I also started to connect with them as fellow human beings. For this, I am humbled and grateful.
We've taken many more photos than I could ever post on the blog, so here are the links to our photo albums from the past 2 months, so you can take a look! When we first arrived, I felt like an anthropologist on a quest to learn more about Really Poor People Who Live in a Village. I felt awkward interacting with them, and I felt overwhelmed by everything that was new, hard, and dirty about their way of life. But as the days melted into one another, and as I communicated more with people, I slowly started to feel more connected to people. People greeted me, and I greeted them in return. I asked them simple questions about what they were doing, and they would explain their work to me. Kids called my name and tried to get me to dance, and they took me out to the fields to gather peanuts, and then laughed at my attempts to find peanuts in the dirt. We sat around the gas stove at night and drank hot sweet milk with people from our compound. And throughout it all, even though I still felt self-conscious about my wealth, my privilege, my skin, my clothes, and all of the other things that make my life different from theirs, I also started to connect with them as fellow human beings. For this, I am humbled and grateful.
Christmas: http://tinyurl.com/gambiachristmas
Village life: http://tinyurl.com/villagelife
China: http://tinyurl.com/shenzhenchina
I love your post and your pictures, Jen. I'm really glad to be able to read a little more about your life in the village. (And I am thinking of your and your construction workers!)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog update and photographs. What an adventure!
ReplyDeleteAre some of the children you met the same ones Doug met in the Peace Corps, now grown up a bit? I thought I recognized one name.
ReplyDeleteDo dogs and cats need to sleep outside, away from the people, so they don't bring in more fleas & ticks? (Although I've heard the way to get rid of fleas is to get a dog or cat--because they go to the animal.) Just wondering about the place of animals and whether some are considered pets? How do the animals get along with each other? When we were there, I remember small packs of dogs appearing, looking for garbage or something, at different times, so they seemed to have established their places "in the wild." Yet, on the beach, one dog sat near our feet, kind of friendly, but didn't eat the piece of bread I put down for him (seemed like he must have been a pet with his own feeder somewhere. Is that possible/reasonable?)
Did the village people have any books or reading/writing materials at all?
Were there any grandparents, maybe as old as me?
Many thanks for sharing, both the good and the bad, or I should say, the difficult and the pleasant experiences.
Love, Jean