
We made it to San Francisco! OK, so it took us two days instead of one. We pooped out in San Mateo and spent last night with Tom (Doug's brother) and Kim and their cute kids Ben and Evan. At first we were a bit disappointed to realize that we wouldn't be able to make it all the way to the city in one day as we'd planned, but it was great to spend the night hanging out with family. I'm writing this from Rose's house in SF at
A few musings from the past two days:
- If I could sum up our trip thus far in three words, I would say: Too many hills. We took the scenic route to SF, a.k.a the painful route. The hardest thing today was biking up and over Twin Peaks at the end of a butt-busting day. Turns out we're more out of shape than we thought! We've already walked our bikes up a few hills. Doug pointed out that this is a good thing, though, because we've spoiled any pride we might have had about being "tough" bikers. Instead, we've decided that the theme of this trip is: Chillax.
- People love to honk and wave at us! This is because we have cute bike flags (thanks, Robin & Frank M!) and fake license plates on the backs of our bikes: I'm Just, and Doug's Married. So depending on who's riding in front, we're either Just Married or Married Just. (Or if I'm on my own, I appear to have a high opinion of my own fairness!) Either way, we get a lot of honks and waves. At first the honks threw us off -- we thought people were pissed off at us. Then we realized they were being nice, and we started waving. The funny thing is, now I wave at people even if they're honking at me to get out of the way! I guess that's better than the reverse, though; I'd hate to spend the day flipping off nice people.
Tomorrow we cross the Golden Gate Bridge and head up the California coast. In some ways, it feels like tomorrow is the day the trip begins, since it will be our first day spending the night in an unfamiliar place. I'm not sure when we'll next have internet access, so enjoy yourselves until we meet again! :)
What a great beginning to spend extra time with family and friends before heading across the Golden Gate Bridge..& beyond!
ReplyDeleteSorry about those hills! :-( At least there was a yummy veggie meal at the end of your day. :-)
Loved the pictures and your stories.
Look forward to reading more, and following along as the adventure continues.
Love and hugs, Mom <3
Reg says:even Portland is only 10 hours drive by VAN. If you need Van backup, call and I'm on my way--at least here to Yellowstone
ReplyDeleteYay! Glad to hear you'll be chillaxing!
ReplyDelete