For the first time since Rose's computer in SF, I'm getting to write this on a real computer instead of my cell phone. Hooray! Better yet, after two nights in the wilderness, we're finally going to get to sleep in a real bed tonight. In other words, we made it to Walla Walla, WA, population 30,000 or so, which feels like The Big City after a week's worth of the boonies. Multi-story buildings! Side streets! More than one restaurant! A Safeway instead of a mini-mart! It's amazing. The first thing we did after checking into the Best Western is take looooong, HOT showers. Sigh. Then we stood around feeling giddy at our own cleanliness.
Here are a few other joyful thoughts from our afternoon in Walla Walla:
Stir-fried tofu!
Sushi!
Smoothies!
***BIKE STORE!***
New bike leggings and arm covers to prevent sunburns!
Getting a massage tomorrow morning!
Laundry room...IN OUR HOTEL!
I am one happy girl.
P.S. We added captions to our photos in Doug's Picasa album, and he's going to upload new photos soon. If you're wondering why most of the pictures are of me on my bike, that's because Doug is usually the one who carries the camera, and he likes to take pictures while we're in motion. Now that I've seen that the album's a bit out of balance, though, I'll try to take some more pictures of him!
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the captions! In photo 54, I can't tell if it's a dog or a cow behind the fence. Nice blue biking shirt also--tho it doesn't have the "boing" sight value of the yellow-chartreause. We've watched your location go from WA-OR-WA-OR... Is that via tiny roads that cross the river? I think you've gone about 300 miles already--that's 3 "century" bike rides! Enjoy your Best Western rest. A friend couldn't believe you'd done all the typing on your cell phone! I kept bumping the "track ball" when I first tried. Hope you've stocked up on lightweight, delicious food. Many, many thanks for writing.
ReplyDeleteLove, -- Jean :)
Hi - I don't check the blog for a couple of days and you're already two states away!! You guys are making great time. Are you ahead of schedule? May 'wild rabbits' don't have a schedule! Take care. Hope it's cooler there than in the Bay Area.
ReplyDeleteHi guys!
ReplyDeleteI think I finally figured out how to join in the crowd following you (at least in cyberspace). I see your Latitude marker in Walla Walla! There's a cute area called KoosKooskie off to the east and a little south. Don't they have any normal names up there? Loved seeing all the pictures. After all that riding I can imagine a shower and a massage would seem like pure heaven. Love, *J*
I think it's so cute there's a town named after a dog. I bet the pomeranians were friendly; it's such a cute breed. Did they look like pomeranians, you know, small and spry? Anyway, congrats on hitting your strike. Doing 70 miles a day and then being able to even get up the next day, much less do another 50+ miles is pretty impressive. And the next time someone offers a free night's stay and a pool...TAKE IT!
ReplyDelete